Hey all - I have noticed that there are some users interested in gaining SSH access to the Thecus 1U4500. I have been able to make this work and have a write-up on my site if you would like to see how it can be done.
The normal disclaimer applies: the information is for educational purposes only. And I take no responsibility for any loss of data and/or damage to your Thecus box.
Ehhh... moot point for me, now. I managed to get read access to / without a Mac (can't use AFP on our net; for some reason it triggered a massive packet storm, which may have had something to do with having load balancing turned on) and from there managed to learn enough to put together a simple firmware package... but for some reason this very basic package which did no more than restarting the SSH daemon totally broke something Active Directory-related.
After about half an hour of frantic rebooting and reconfiguring, I gave in and upgraded the firmware to the v2 beta... which means it's working brilliantly now, but SSH is a long way out of my grasp.
Strangely, no one else noticed that the NAS was offline for about three hours during the afternoon, but I'm not one to question fortune like that.